“Portability” in the HCV program refers to the process through which the family can transfer or “port” their rental subsidy to a location outside the jurisdiction of RRHA.

When can I move?

HCV Participants are eligible to move within HHA’s jurisdiction or port (transfer) their voucher after 12 months (1 year) of holding their lease.

New families may not port immediately; they may have to live in the jurisdiction of HHA, the initial PHA, for a year before they can port.

PHA – “Public Housing Authority”

Initial PHAs – The PHA that first gave the voucher to the individual when they were selected for the program.

Receiving PHAs – The agency that will administer assistance in the area where the individual intends to move.


If you desire to port your voucher from HHA to another jurisdiction, please complete the Portability Request Form and Landlord Notice to Move.

Submit the completed forms to our Portability Specialist.

Questions regarding your portability status, email our Portability Specialist.
Please allow 3 business days for a response.


If you are interested in porting your voucher into HHA’s jurisdiction you must first contact your initial PHA (the administrator of your Housing Choice Voucher) and inform them you would like to have your voucher ported to Huntington Housing Authority. Please inform your Housing Authority that HHA is currently absorbing.

Port-in Documentation (submit after notifying your PHA)

Submit all documents via one of the following methods:

  • Email – do*******@hu**********.org
  • Fax – 631-427-6288
  • Mail – HHA Attn: Program Manager, 1A Lowndes Avenue, Huntington Station, NY 11746

Please note: Once all information is received and processed you will receive a
voucher and tenancy approval packet.

Questions? Call (631) 427-6220 or email do*******@hu**********.org